Friday, June 24, 2011

Home Sweet Home For Now



The past ten days after arriving in Sydney has been to say the least, stressful. We arrived at 9 am and pretty jetlagged. We made reservations at a hostel and ended up staying there for 8 days before we could move into our temporary apartment. It was my first time staying at a hostel and it wasn't as bad as I thought. We made sure to book a private room (which didn't have an ensuite bathroom). The bathrooms and kitchens were shared and everyone buys their own groceries and cooks their own meals. This kind of accomodation encourages people to be more social, although the downside is that there are some rowdy people that just want to party.

It's been two days since we moved into our temporary apartment. I feel so relieved to have my own privacy, and a kitchen to cook as I please. There's even a built in espresso machine! It's been chilly outside since June is the winter season in Australia. All the chilly weather has made me crave some comfort food. I haven't cooked a single meal in months and I want to get my hands dirty and cook.

I bought an issue of Delicious Magazine and there was a recipe for a vegetarian Thai curry with soft boiled eggs. I couldn't get the picture out of my head and had to make it before I start dreaming about it.


Thai Curry with Soft Boiled Eggs
Since I already had it in my pantry, I used cream in the curry instead of coconut milk. The cream gives the curry a velvety texture. It's become a ritual for me now to always make Jasmine rice when I make curry.4 large eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 heaping tablespoons red Thai curry paste 1/2 cup cream
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 Japanese eggplant, cut into big chunks
1/8 small cabbage, cut into big chunks
salt and sugar to taste
cilantro and lime wedges to serve

In a medium pot, bring some water to a boil. Slowly add the eggs and simmer for 8 minutes. Refresh in cold water and peel them once they've cooled down.

In another pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook until they're soft and starting to colour. Add the garlic and curry paste. Saute the mix until a thin later starts to stick to the bottom of the pot.

Add the cream and canned tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water and pour into the pot. Simmer the curry for 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Season with salt and sugar if necessary.

Add the eggplant and cabbage. Simmer for another 15 minutes or until the eggplant is cooked. Add more water if the eggplant has soaked too much of the liquid. Serve with the soft boiled egg, sliced in half and topped with lots of chopped cilantro and generous squeeze of lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment