Monday, May 17, 2010

To Market, To Market





It has been pretty hot here in Vancouver. With temperatures up to 18'C, you'd think it was a Vancouver summer too. I was really looking forward to going to the Kitsilano Farmer's Market today. I checked online and was sadly disappointed when I found out it was actually starting next week. So what's the next best thing to the Kitsilano Farmer's Market? The Granville Island Market of course!






It's too bad I don't go to Granville Island enough. They have fresh produce that the farmers sell themselves and lots of local vendors and artists. As we wandered around, we ended up getting some cheese for the night's dinner, a baby rosemary plant, spot prawns, fresh favas and peas, asparagus, and a few packets of bean/seed sprout starter from The Grainery. Phew! It ended up being quite a lot of groceries. We went home and unloaded the day's treasures. We planned to use up some gnocchi that was in our fridge and made a saute with the fresh fava beans, peas, and spot prawns, all bound together with a touch of white wine and a dab of butter to make a light sauce. A perfect spring dinner! Oh, and did I mention that we paired it with a mouth watering Reisling that I brought back from Niagara?

Quite an odd looking Bonsai tree, don't you think?

I'm still eager to visit the Kitsilano Farmer's Market. The weather for the rest of the week doesn't look very promising (yes, its rain), but I'm still determined to make my way down there. Whether it's leafy rainbow chard, deep ruby rhubarb, or just plain baby carrots, I'll be happy just knowing that I'm supporting local farmers that worked so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment