Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ringing In The New Year From Down Under



New Years 2012 would have to go down as one of the most memorable moments of my life.  I had to work, but just being able to celebrate it in Sydney, Australia is just exciting as it is. 

I wasn't with family, friends, or Jeremie. He also ended up working.  I was with my second family.  The chefs at Flying Fish I see so much at times have now become my family. 

Flying Fish is located in Pyrmont, across the water from Circular Quay and over looks the Harbour Bridge.  It is situated in the perfect spot to watch the fireworks.

Chocolate marquise, coconut sorbet, vanilla panna cotta with poached cherries topped with a gold leaf

The sign of a busy restaurant.

At five minutes until midnight, all the guests and chefs from the restaurant gathered outside to watch the fireworks.  It was spectacular.  One of the best fireworks shows I've ever seen.  The Harbour Bridge was lit up with fireworks too!  It seemed to have been set up at four different locations across downtown Sydney kilometers apart.  I saw an aerial view the next day on the news and it was really something.



At that moment, I looked at all the chefs around me.  It was so surreal, too perfect.  To this day, I still can't believe I'm in Sydney.  I don't think I'll ever believe it.  It was a moment where I was proud of myself of all the obstacles I had to overcome to settle in Sydney.  All that seemed so insignificant now.  It was a great start to a new year.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment