Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Breakfast Muesli Scones


Before I start on my next post, I need to mention a few things. I'm trying to change the look of Spotted Banana for a more personal feel and reflect who I am a little more. If you've already noticed, there are a few minor changes to the layout of the page already. I'm not a computer person by any means and trying to understand all this computer stuff is mind boggling. But nonetheless, it's a good start for me to try to up my computer knowledge. So, that being said, it'll be a slow work in progress. Now that I've got that out of the way, let's get to the good stuff...

There's one specific brand of muesli Jeremie and I always buy that has a bit of fruit and nuts, and honey toasted until it's nice and crunchy. When our local supermarket stopped carrying our favorite brand, we've been buying all different brands of muesli to find one we both liked. Still no luck.

Now there's just under a   1 kg box of raw muesli sitting in my cupboard. We really did try our hardest to like it. But a few days of trying it with yogurt, it just didn't do it for me. I read the ingredient list. Rolled oats, dried fruit, nuts, wheat bran, and flaxseed. A quick search online and I found a recipe for oat scones.  I decided to substitute the oats in the recipe for the muesli.

Why not? The main ingredient in muesli is oats anyway, along dried fruit, and other really healthy stuff to get you started in the morning. So I'm calling these breakfast muesli scones. The dough comes together really quickly. I decided to just shape half the dough and freeze the other half since I couldn't possibly eat so many scones. The original recipe uses all whole wheat flour, but with all the extra heft in the muesli, I went for half all purpose and half whole wheat. These scones come out a little heavier than traditional white scones, but I don't mind.




Breakfast Muesli Scones
(Makes 12 large scones)
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks


Make sure to use the raw, untoasted muesli. If you like more dried fruit in your scones, you can add about 1/3 cup of currants or raisins to your mix with the muesli. Next time, I think I'll add some orange or lemon zest. It needed a little bit of a zing.


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups untoasted muesli
1 cup buttermilk, plus extra for brushing the tops
extra sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350'F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss in the cubed butter and with your fingers, rub the butter in until there are no pieces of butter bigger than the size of a pea.

Stir in the muesli. Add the buttermilk. Mix the dough until it just comes together. If it feels too dry, add a splash more buttermilk or water.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a circle and pat it to about 1 inch thickness. Cut each round of dough into 6 wedges and place on a baking sheet.

Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake until golden, about 30 mins.

Best enjoyed while still warm from the oven.

1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM! I want some. Blueberry scones are my fav...with some lemony zest.

    Tanya xo

    ReplyDelete